Who wants to join a playtest?

Be creative! We know you can be <3

Who wants to join a playtest?

Postby SpiritfChaos on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:15 pm

Pretty much exactly what it sounds like. For some of you who've not been on the chatroom, I've been working on creating a tabletop RPG for the past few months, and I think it's to the point where it's ready for a test. So would anyone be interested in doing such a test over Skype?
I'm just a guy who wants to help save the world.
SpiritfChaos

Re: Who wants to join a playtest?

Postby agoraoptera on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:56 am

A date and a time my dear fellow
If you can make it better, don't make it sentient.

agoraoptera wrote: :| Shane just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I get to be Godzilla

Proud co-writer of the Greatest Idea of Our Time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1236
agoraoptera

Postby Lordxana0 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:27 am

I am in
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Postby Guyshane on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:17 am

Depends on the time and date
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby SpiritfChaos on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:48 am

First thing is I'd need to know when all of us have a few hours available. (My time zone is GMT -4:00)
SpiritfChaos

Postby agoraoptera on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:00 am

GMT +8, so im directly on the other side of you. Hrm, that means afternoons are out, but if everyone else is free, dont bother making accomodations for me :P
If you can make it better, don't make it sentient.

agoraoptera wrote: :| Shane just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I get to be Godzilla

Proud co-writer of the Greatest Idea of Our Time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1236
agoraoptera

Postby narrativedilettante on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:07 am

I'd be willing to join, but I'm not sure when/if I'll be available in the near future.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Endless Sea on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:10 pm

Not sure if I'll be able to join, but I'm definitely interested.
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Victin on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:18 pm

Well I'm not sure if I'd be available to join, but I'm also interested. And while I'm in GMT -3 I don't have much availability, so you can put me at the bottom of the list if so is needed ;)
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby SpiritfChaos on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:24 pm

I'll post a link here once I'm done compiling the various documents into a Google Doc.
SpiritfChaos

Postby SpiritfChaos on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:09 am

Player handbook is here. I may add some things later on.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18oV ... 7gajQ/edit
SpiritfChaos

Postby SpiritfChaos on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:34 pm

Okay, I hadn't noticed that I had it set to private. Fixed that.
SpiritfChaos

Postby Dihydrogen_Monoxide on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:05 am

Ooh, a player's handbook. Let's see...

Stats
Stat-rolling should be more averaged out, so it'll need at least two dice. Suggest a 2d6 or 3d4 instead of a 1d10, or implementation of a point-buy/template system.
If a stat requires a whole 10 points more for a mere +1 to an action roll, level progression will be very slow. Unless the action rolls are determined by d4s or d6s, or stat growth is very fast, suggest reducing required points.

Races
These are pretty alright so far.

Classes
There has to be a class that adds +2 to Luck. Possibly a Joker or Gambler or something.
Or, you could probably change it such all classes add +1 to two different skills instead of +2 to one.
Archer could use a +1 to Mind and +1 to Sense, instead of +2 to Mind.
Torchbearer could use a +1 to Spirit and +1 to Body instead of +2 to body.

In general, most of these classes, require more fleshing out, though I understand that the RPG isn't done yet.

Animator
-IMO, I don't like the idea that you need pumpkins to craft golems. Could use more of the same material instead, or perhaps a synthesised gem or something. If you really want to need pumpkins, you could insert it into the lore of the game, about how pumpkins are magic sinks or something; and they're therefore required to create golems.

Magic and Levelling
20 mana orbs -> 1 charge
25 charges -> 1 level
This totals to 500 mana orbs per level, and you'll have to save the charges up. Assuming more powerful enemies give more mana orbs when killed, level progression will be far too slow when you're a lowly level 1 adventurer, and will be much too fast when you reach around level 20.

Suggest scaling of charges per level.

(What I'm assuming is going)To be done
Potions/Items in general
Constructs
Weapons & Armour
Magic/Caster's spells
General fleshing out of the classes, adding more skills and such.

Overall
What kind of system are you using? d100? d20? d10?

Is kind of obviously incomplete for now, so I'll save other comments for later. Seems to be a pretty decent RPG system so far though. Count me in when its done.
Dihydrogen_Monoxide

Postby SpiritfChaos on Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:16 pm

Dihydrogen_Monoxide wrote:Ooh, a player's handbook. Let's see...

Stats
Stat-rolling should be more averaged out, so it'll need at least two dice. Suggest a 2d6 or 3d4 instead of a 1d10, or implementation of a point-buy/template system.
If a stat requires a whole 10 points more for a mere +1 to an action roll, level progression will be very slow. Unless the action rolls are determined by d4s or d6s, or stat growth is very fast, suggest reducing required points.

Races
These are pretty alright so far.

Classes
There has to be a class that adds +2 to Luck. Possibly a Joker or Gambler or something.
Or, you could probably change it such all classes add +1 to two different skills instead of +2 to one.
Archer could use a +1 to Mind and +1 to Sense, instead of +2 to Mind.
Torchbearer could use a +1 to Spirit and +1 to Body instead of +2 to body.

In general, most of these classes, require more fleshing out, though I understand that the RPG isn't done yet.

Animator
-IMO, I don't like the idea that you need pumpkins to craft golems. Could use more of the same material instead, or perhaps a synthesised gem or something. If you really want to need pumpkins, you could insert it into the lore of the game, about how pumpkins are magic sinks or something; and they're therefore required to create golems.

Magic and Levelling
20 mana orbs -> 1 charge
25 charges -> 1 level
This totals to 500 mana orbs per level, and you'll have to save the charges up. Assuming more powerful enemies give more mana orbs when killed, level progression will be far too slow when you're a lowly level 1 adventurer, and will be much too fast when you reach around level 20.

Suggest scaling of charges per level.

(What I'm assuming is going)To be done
Potions/Items in general
Constructs
Weapons & Armour
Magic/Caster's spells
General fleshing out of the classes, adding more skills and such.

Overall
What kind of system are you using? d100? d20? d10?

Is kind of obviously incomplete for now, so I'll save other comments for later. Seems to be a pretty decent RPG system so far though. Count me in when its done.

1. I considered that, since it seems like players' stats would end up higher overall, but the d10 is what I used for the first test.
1a. It's at 10 points simply because in the first test, a few players got 10 or close to 10 for a few stats, which, if I'd gone with 5 points as I originally planned, would give them too much of an advantage right off the bat.
1b. I may choose to raise or lower point requirements depending on the class's primary stat.

2. This has been brought up before, I just haven't had time to implement it. Some classes will have their bonuses modified, but some will stay as they are. As for a Luck-based class, I'm working on it.
2a. More skills for each class will be coming as well.
2b. The in-universe reason for the pumpkins is that they serve as containers for the souls used to animate the constructs. One Animator skill I will add is the ability to create a construct without a pumpkin, but it will cost an extra charge.

3. Again, that's just a placeholder, I'm going to work on a formula for how many orbs you need per level. As for low-level players, you'll be able to get charges through non-combative means.

4. All of this will be added, starting with the Caster's base spells. Whisperer and Animator's familiars will be added once we have stats for them, then items and potions once we have the effects figured out.

5. Could you explain what you mean by what kind of system?
SpiritfChaos

Postby Dihydrogen_Monoxide on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:35 am

1. Depends, it's your choice. 1d10 will make an even chance of getting averages and rolls on either side of the spectrum. 2d6 makes it a lower chance for stats on either side of the spectrum and increases the chance of a more average stat, 3d4 even more.

What dice are action rolls determined by? d6? If it's d8 or higher, 5 points is probably fine.

1a. The chances of a few players getting a few stats 10 or close to 10 is almost nil, unless your group size is in the twenties and above. I suggest using this to prevent cheating.

That, or to leave things out of chance's way, have a point-buy or template system:

Point-buy gives you a certain number of points, and allows you to 'buy' stats using the points. The higher your stat, the more points it costs to raise that stat by 1, until it caps off at a max of (presumably) 10. The template system essentially just gives you 5 different scores from high to low in accordance with point-buy and allows you to assign them to your scores however you like.

5. System meaning what dice you use for all general rolls in-game:

D&D uses the d20 system. All skill checks require you to roll a d20 and add modifiers. Attacking monsters require rolling of a d20 and adding of modifiers. Few things don't require a d20, one of which is damage, which uses the whole variety other than the d20s.

The World of Darkness and Warhammer 40k series use the d10 system. (WoD calls it the Storytelling system, but fancy names, bah.) Just about every roll requires a d10, with modifiers. Warhammer 40k requires percentage rolls sometimes, with 2d10s, one designated as the tens die, and one as the ones die.

Paranoia and the other games made by West End Games use the d6 system. d6s used for just about every roll, etc, however, there's a special mechanic with this system where if you roll a 6 on the die, it 'explodes', and allows rolling of an extra d6 to be added to the total. All 6s 'explode', which allows for whacky things like one-shotting bosses or being one-shotted youself, etc.

Just about no published system uses the d8 or d12 system, though there are homebrewed RPG systems for them. Certain published CYOA books uses 2d6s for their adventures, so there's that as well.

Also, don't use a d4 system. It's terrible and whoever who uses it is terrible.
Dihydrogen_Monoxide

Postby SpiritfChaos on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:13 pm

1. In that case, I'm going with 5 points.

1a. I've used point-buy systems before, and it ended up being really difficult to use without being overpowered. I will be using that roller though.

5. In that case, I'm using a d20 system, since I lifted part of the combat system from D&D.
SpiritfChaos

Postby SpiritfChaos on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:56 pm

UPDATE: Two new classes have been added; The Gambler and the Elementalist.
SpiritfChaos

Return to Metaguard Projects